Hello, my name is Allen L. Williams and I am a member of a awesome study group at Clark College known as The "A" Team. The three study partners I have in our "Intro To Mass Media" class are: Dante Kim, Korin Grems and Tim Dezort. During the duration of the quarter, my team and I have come across a major dilemma that is spreading all over the world like an unstoppable virus. That virus is known as "Cellphone Addiction."
Some experts say that people have become so addicted to their cellphones, that they can't even sit through a 90 minute movie without breaking away from it to text or call someone. A writer by the name of Michael Y. Park wrote an article for Fox News on this very topic referring to cell phone addiction as "An Epidemic" that is sweeping across the United States. This problem is not just in America, but all over the world. In Japan, it is documented that one in three mobile phone users are addicts.
According to the International Telecommunication Union, cellphone users has increased by 45% from 2000 to 2010, surpassing users of the internet, fixed telephone lines, mobile broadband subscriptions, and fixed broadband subscriptions. Our roads and highways are more dangerous then ever. Why? Because based on other studies, a whopping 73% of people who have cellphones talk on them while driving. It would seem that cellphone addicts are about as dangerous as drunk drivers now.
Advertisers love to exploit this addiction by making it very easy for people to feed their craving. Everything from television commercials, to magazine ads, to special offers sent by e-mail or snail-mail builds up all around us the same way bacteria builds up plaque and gingivitis on our teeth and gums. There are even online sites that provide "Text Abbreviations & Terminology" which tends to be used so commonly, that "text-talk" even shows up on essays turned in to school teachers by their students.
There are of course many people who hear about this sort of thing and then respond to it by stating: "I'm not addicted to my cell phone, I can stop using it any time I want." (Isn't that what all addicts say?)No matter what kind of addiction a person may have, whether it's alcohol, heroin, or facebook, there will always be people who say they are not controlled by anything. The bad news is that denial is probably the one thing that will destroy an addict from the inside out.
The good news is that not only can we fight off plaque and gingivitis with good oral hygiene methods, we can also fight off the intoxicating effects of cell phone addiction. How can we do this? Well, the first step to dealing with an addiction to acknowledge the fact that there is a problem. The following 12 questions should help people come to a conclusion to whether or not they are cellphone addicts.
1. Do you feel naked without your cell phone?
2. Do you use your cell phone while waiting in line?
3. Do you get irritated when someone doesn’t reply to a text message?
4. Do you use it while driving?
5. Do you use all the applications on your phone?
6. Do you use it in the bathroom?
7. Do you use your phone as your event planner?
8. Do you spend more time talking on your phone rather than in person?
9. Is your phone bill the most expensive bill you have?
10. Have you complained about other people using their phone, but do the same thing?
11. Is it in your hand right now? Is it next to you?
12. Do you leave it on when you go to sleep?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you may be addicted to your cell phone. The “A” team has come up with a few suggestions to help cope with your addiction.
1. Document the time used on your phone. This will illustrate how much time you ACTUALLY spend on it. Important vs. unimportant time.
2. Cut back. Now that you know how much time is wasted, try cutting back your usage.
3. Put it away when talking in person. When you are talking to someone face-to-face, put your phone away or turn it off.
4. You're not that important. You don’t need to respond to everything right now. You don’t have to check your emails every 5 minutes to stay connected.
5. Cell phones are tools not status symbols. Do you remember why you bought it in the first place? Do you really need the next big phone with all the useless applications? What your main reason for owning a phone? Social or business?
6. Turn it off. Do you leave your phone on at night waiting for a response to your last text? Does your phone get in the way of your every day life or has it become a part of it? Can you function without your cell phone? Turn it off and live your life freely without any interruptions.
Cellphones are useful and convenient, but too much of it will consume every part our lives if we are not careful. The "A" Team hope that you found this article to be helpful and informative and we wish you all the best. Thank You.
This Message Was Put Together By "The A Team" Students of Clark College for our "Intro To Mass Media Class." (Allen L. Williams, Korin Grems, Dante Kim, and Tim Dezort)
9 comments:
I'm mostly addicted! I can put it down though. I think talking while driving is OK. It's not different that talking to a passenger. It's texting while driving that is the real distraction.
I'm not that addicted, out of the 12 questions, a majority of them were in the negative, because while I love my phone, and the connectivity it gives me, I don't like that things are becoming more based off of phones..
I told Allen that I'd post my responses, so here you guys go! Good luck on the project!
1. Yes, but only because it’s how I communicate with the world when not around a computer/people.
2. Sometimes, but only when I’m bored, or expecting someone to call/text.
3. No, I’ve learned that people will respond when and if they want to!
4. If I could drive, no, I would not use it, and yes, I’ve had my phone with me when I was able to, so no.
5. No, I don’t, I don’t have a smart phone, and even if I did, it wouldn’t make sense.
6. No, but I know that my Dad does…. Disturbing to think about sometimes.
7. No
8. I think it’s about equal at the moment, but I could be wrong. I do try to talk to people as opposed to texting someone.
9. No, that would be my utilities at the moment, but in a normal month it’s tied with my internet/cable bill. It’s now actually less I think..
10. Depends on the situation and what’s going on. I’ve complained sure, and I try to make sure I don’t do the same thing to others, since I don’t like the feeling of it when it happens to me.
11. No, but it right next to me.
12. Yes, it’s my alarm on the weekends.
I'm not addicted to my phone. Mostly I think it is an annoyance, but still a necessity in this day and age. I do admit that I rely on it for my contact information. I don't even know my own Family and Friends phone numbers by heart anymore. I do know the ones that they had before they switched to new phone numbers and I got a cell phone. I also use it as my alarm clock. It is becoming more common for people to not wear watches because they have their cell phone to tell them what time it is. I don't use many of the apps, because I have a cheap phone. No bells & whistles for me. I'm too cheap! :) I like the advise given to people who are addicted. Good job on your project.
I hate talking on the phone, I much prefer face-to-face conversations. I love to text, however, and I like the convenience of owning a cell phone and being able to reach others if I need to. My phone is nothing fancy and I like it that way. My iTouch, however, is what I feel naked without. I use all my applications, I love having the internet at my fingertips and it's a great time waster.
I agree, though, that cell phones (and more precisely, Smart Phones) have become an addiction for many people. Our generation is one of instant satisfaction - we get frustrated if a web page or YouTube video takes longer than three seconds to load. We lose our patience if someone doesn't answer the phone on the first try or if it takes them a few hours to reply to a text message. We make ourselves too available, never out of reach, and sometimes that fact can be a bad thing. Texting while driving is a dangerous, yet all-too-common, habit - there are too many examples of deadly accidents caused by a distracted texter behind the wheel to list. And I've seen people pull out their phones in the middle of conversations or at restaurants in order to check for and reply to messages and emails. Students get their phones taken away for using them during class. It is an epidemic, and it's hitting younger and younger Americans.
If I had my way, I would not have a cell phone, however, my employers feels that it is necessary for me to be connected to my job 24/7. I feel that we should have harsher penalties for people to talk/text while driving. I don't think that anything in a phone call or text is more important than the life you risk taking while talking/texting while driving. If you text is truly that important then pull over to the side of the road.....the life you save could be your own!!!!!
I plan my life and my business on my cell, meetings, performances, travel schedules, appointments etc.. but I talk less than my 200 monthly mins. I do not have internet access on my cell, I have a home computer and dsl, why pay for a service twice?
Texting is much easier and less time consuming because Im generally sending a message to 5-10 people at once.
I use my phone as an alarm and am very irritated if someone texts/calls me while Im sleeping. I do not respond until the next morning. Back in the day, the only time anyone would contact you in the middle of the night is when a loved one died.
I *hate* when people talk on their phones in an enclosed area... bus, car, elevator etc.. WHO in their right minds wants the world to know their personal business? I certainly could care less who your ex is sleeping with. To me it's noise pollution. If I must talk in public, I place one hand over my mouth and talk almost in a whisper.
I do not use all the applications. I use my phone until it dies before purchasing a new (second or third tier) cell.
I can't remember all the other questions.
The Link Below Is A Translation From English To Korean By My Teammate Dante Kim....
http://www.facebook.com/notes/seok-kim/media-project-cell-phone-addiction-eng-ver-kor-ver/10150219492387073
Post a Comment